We hope that through this website you can get to know a little bit about us as a congregation. If you'd like to join us for worship for the first time, check out the Our Worship page for more specific information about our worship service.
Celebrating God's Love
Cultivating Christian Community
Empowering Life-Long Discipleship
We strive to be an intergenerational church engaging all members in collaborative ministry.
Respectful, Caring, Trusting, Inclusion, Teamwork, Hopeful
The congregation of Our Redeemer held its first worship service in August 1931. The service was led by Rev. Armin R. Gesswein at Jackson Ave School. 41 people attended that worship service. About a year later, in July 1932, Rev. Alvin E. Wagner becomes the pastor on assignment. In March of 1933 the congregation purchased the land located on Washington Ave where the church is currently located. In January 1937 Our Redeemer was officially organized as a part of the Lutheran Church Missouri, Atlantic District. The next month Rev. Wagner made the first permanent pastor of the congregation. In September of 1940, the new chapel was dedicated and a year after that Rev. Arthur R.G. Hanser is installed as the congregation's third pastor.
In December 1951 the Parish Hall was dedicated.
In June 1954 Rev. Rudolph P.F. Ressmeyer was installed as the congregation's fourth pastor.
In 1955 Our Redeemer Lutheran School is opened and runs until 1977 providing Christian elementary education.
In 1962 Rev. Robert R. Behnke is installed as assistant pastor. In 1967 he is installed as the congregation's fifth pastor when Pastor Ressmeyer resigns to become Executive Director of Long Island Lutheran High School (LuHi).
July 1978 Rev. Paul O. Lutze is installed as the congregation's sixth pastor. Later that year in November the congregation severes its ties with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and affiliates with the East Coast Synod of the American Evangelical Lutheran Church (AELC).
In May 1980 the congregation installed Rev. John E. Priest as Associate Pastor.
In February 1985 Rev. Paul d. Schmiege is installed as the congergations seventh pastor.
In 1987 the school was reopened as a Nursery School for 3 and 4 year old children.
In January 1989 the AELC and several other Lutheran Church bodies merge to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)- the denomination Our Redeemer currently remains a part of.
In 1992 the Nursery School expands its ministry and becomes a licensed daycare program.
In April 1996 Rev. Ronald M. Klose is installed as the congregation's eighth pastor.
In April 2022 called Rev. John A. Hickey II their current pastor.